Funded by the Arts Council of England, the project included the commissioning of artists whose work is incorporated within the building’s fabric. The theatre is housed in Liverpool’s first synagogue, built in 1859 and later converted for theatre use. The refurbishment retained elements of the original building including the existing auditorium which was reconfigured. An additional auditorium and rehearsal space were created at second floor level, acoustically separated from the main theatre to allow simultaneous use. Front-of-house facilities were replaced, with bars at first and second floor levels. The building is effectively organised into a 4 storey element, with one auditorium above the other, linked by the new foyer and bar areas. The existing roof was removed and replaced with a new curved one enclosing the new auditorium sweeping down to embrace the bars and foyer.